Saturday, February 11, 2017

abloom

As a Jane Austen fan, quotes from her books (more accurately, lines from movies based on her books) often come to mind at random moments.  This happened just a few minutes ago as I was looking over photos of roses taken last summer. 

Lady Catherine to Lizzy Bennet: "If I had ever learnt, I should have been a great proficient."

Of course she was speaking of playing the piano forte, not growing roses.  The correlation is that I've always wondered if I'd be any good at whipping up a garden of my own.  It's always been a daydream to have a patch of green overgrown with blossoms in every possible shade, a place full of fragrance and buzzing bees and benches to sit and admire.  I've always loved roses.  Over the years I've collected books about them, cut out images from seed catalogs depicting them, dried and kept many that were given as gifts for one occasion or another, and spent countless hours in gardens that were full of them.  There is a tranquility and serenity about roses, a perfection of botanic elegance.  Sublime might be the word I'm looking for.  Anyway, this was what I was pondering when the line came to mind.  Perhaps one of these days I'll try my hand at cultivation. 





No comments:

Post a Comment