Sunday, September 21, 2014

S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y!

Yesterday Tim and I did everything from acquiring new auto insurance to climbing a fire tower.  He is quite busy with classes these days so it was nice to have him all to myself for the day. 

We visited the Hudson Valley Farmers Market.  I fed baby goats and afterward we picked up some veggies and spices.  The nutmeg I bought has got to be the one of the best-smelling things on this planet.  Seriously.  I think it is going to become part of a loaf of pumpkin chocolate chip bread later today.

Got any more pellets?  They're right over there.  Only 25 cents for a handful!

Then we went to Hardscrabble Day in Red Hook which is a celebration of the town's humble roots as a rural farming community, as I understand it.  Food, flea markets, face painting, live music, games for the kiddies and generally an excuse for folks to ramble around and chit chat with their neighbors.  I like that small towns do things like this.  It makes me think of movies and TV shows that depict town gatherings and dances - food, gossip (not the malicious kind), dancing, who is romancing who, who is wearing a new dress, any moral lessons to be learned, etc.  And now I want to listen to the soundtrack to Pride and Prejudice (the Keira Knightly version) or watch Little Women (with Winona Ryder as Jo) or an episode of Little House on the Prairie.  I know, I'm kind of a sap.  

Later we went to Ferncliff Forest where there are lean-tos and fire pits for camping and a fire tower that affords an incredible view of the Hudson River Valley.  It was nearing dusk when we reached the top, and the sky was a bit cloudy to begin with, but what a gorgeous scene all around us.  I joked that I could see New York City from there.  As someone who has a serious fear of heights, I'm not sure how I managed to get to the top and back down without shaking, but I did and I'm glad that I could.





Last night we began watching the Ken Burns PBS series on the Roosevelts.  It is very, very interesting.  Always having been a fan of Theodore Roosevelt's policies on preservation and  his gung-ho attitude in general, it was good to learn more of his history prior to becoming President.  Since we are very near Hyde Park and Tivoli, and Long Island isn't too far way, it is perhaps a good idea to educate ourselves about the history of the people who had such great influence over politics on a state and federal level.  We're thinking about going to FDR's home and Presidential Library next weekend.


Whatever you did this weekend, I hope it was fun or interesting or maybe just relaxing.  I get to visit a DMV office and interview for a few jobs in the next few days.  The rest of my weekend is going to focus mainly on these things.  Cross your fingers for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment