Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Bees! Art Elements theme challenge


Today is reveal day for the April Art Elements theme challenge.  The subject this month, chosen by contributor Niky Sayers, is BEES.  

As a lover of honey, flowers, fruit, nuts, and vegetables, I'm a big fan of bees.  Without their pollinating prowess, our world would be a drastically different place.  Although most folks may only think of how we benefit from their industriousness, bees are pretty fascinating creatures in their own right.  

I grew up with a mom who was terrified of bees, wasps and hornets.  She'd been stung many times as a kid, and her fear was palpable whenever one buzzed nearby.  Fascination outweighed dread for me despite being stung by a bumblebee when I was eight or nine years old.  I still feel that way and often take the time to watch them at work, especially when roses are involved as you can see from the next few photos.



When this challenge was first announced, I had loads of ideas.  Collage, jewelry, embellished fabric hearts, watercolor, and so on.  As happens, time got away from me before I could create all that I imagined, but I did dig out lots of supplies and make a few bee-related things.

This necklace has bronze bee charms in the middle strand, and the color scheme came from thoughts of honey in its many shades from amber to dark brown.




These earrings were inspired by the typical coloring we associate with bees.


Hearts are kinda my thing.  I collect them and sometimes create them in one medium or another.  A good chunk of wall space in my craft room is dedicated to all things decorative and heart-shaped.  Finding the bee fabric and buttons as well as the other items amongst my stash to make this particular heart was a big part of the fun in doing this challenge.  The hand sewing, maybe a little less so.  Ha Ha.





This is my first time participating in an Art Elements theme challenge after years of viewing what others have created from month to month.  I enjoyed it and hope to take part again in future.

Please visit the links below to peruse the lovelies other folks have created.  Enjoy!


AE team:

Guests:

22 comments:

  1. You have been so busy, wow. I love how you covered different aspects, the honey colors, the bee colors, sky, flowers, adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cat. Bees and flowers go hand in hand in my mind, it would seem. I read a list yesterday off all the things bees pollinate, and it blew my mind. Flowers are of course on the list, but so are many, many veggies plus fruit and nut trees. It has created an upswing in my admiration.

      Delete
  2. I love the colors that you used in your necklace. They are a perfect combination for a bee theme. The fabric in your heart is wonderful. It is a fun piece. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. It was fun to pull together the beads once the various colors of honey came to mind. There is everything from amber and Czech glass to garnet and carnelian in the necklace. I've another bee fabric to work with so perhaps I'll get started on another heart soon. Thanks again for your comments. I appreciate it!

      Delete
  3. I am enchanted by your heart... please come back and participate often! You're an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very kind, Karen. Thank you. I thought a few times that I was over-embellishing the heart, but my hands kept grabbing more things to add. We'll see if restraint kicks in with future heart projects.

      Delete
  4. I am so delighted that you participated this month! I love all of your designs and inspirations. That layered necklace is really beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marsha. My husband sort of said "meh" when I showed him the earrings, but I get it - yellow can be a hard color to wear. I'm not all together in love with the necklace to be honest, but it's warm colors just feel really good together. I've a feeling I'll enjoy wearing it.

      Delete
  5. Kelly your jewelry is beautiful but OH I love that heart with the bee fabric - SOOOO cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. The bee fabric and yellow bee buttons are from Joann Fabric. I'd been eyeing the buttons for a while and bought them just days before social isolating became our new norm.

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad that you jumped into the challenge this time around. And, you did a beautiful job rising up to it. I love the shape of your bee-colored earrings, especially. Oh, and all those details you added to your heart are just adorable! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Hope. I too am drawn to the teardrop shape of the earrings. They make for fun movement with the bits that dangle. The faceted seed beads are vintage from a small hank bought at a flea market in Pennsylvania, and the yellow flowers came from a broken vintage necklace given to me at an estate sale years ago. Some fun memories in this pair of earrings!

      Delete
  7. Oh Kelly, you must keep on participating! Both of your projects are colorful and I can see that a lot of thought and planning went into each. I read your profile here and I have a sassy Calico named Cannelle ... Alysen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alysen, thanks for the positive comments. I do wish to participate again, hopefully often. I wonder if your Cannelle is as sassy/wonderful/crazy/affectionate/entertaining as our calico kitty. She is a major source of joy in my life, even when she's driving me nuts.

      Delete
  8. Oh wow! I am blown away by the roses with the bees. Those photos left me feeling as though I could smell those roses. Just gorgeous! Your jewelry is really lovely. The colors and variety of beads works really well with the bee theme. And your bee heart is adorable. I love that bee fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Cathy, if only we could smell those roses! I spent a long time watching and photographing them (and the bees) in an amazing rose garden at a park in my home town a few years back.
      Thanks for the thoughtful comments. This was an enjoyable theme and well worth my using some of that charming fabric

      Delete
  9. Your necklace is amazing. I love all the different components, textures and colors! The bee heart is so cute - I love that fabric. I bet you did have a lot of fun looking through your stash!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stash browsing is quite fun, no doubt about that. This theme challenge and a recent reorganization of my craft room made me realize just how how much actually lives in my stash. Or should I admit to having stashes? :)
    Thanks for your generous comments. I value your kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful interpretations of the theme. I especially love all the movement in that multi-strand necklace. Your fabric heart sculpture is charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tammy. I wore the necklace while puttering around the house yesterday, and it does indeed move around a lot. The heavy-ish focal lends itself to swinging about.

      Delete
  12. I like the three strand - and feel the bees would approve - probably a bit fluttery and jingly when worn! The heart is so sweet - I totally get having a shape that is your constant - then the materials, composition, embellishments are the variables.

    Thanks for joining us! See you in the Art Elements Community on FB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny. Hearts just draw my eye no matter where I am, including rocks, moss, and lichen in nature. I wonder if most people are attracted to a particular shape. Hmmm...

      Delete