Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Histrionicus histrionicus

Not sure about anyone else, but my inbox has been inundated this week with suggestions on ways to de-stress, declutter, deep clean, spring clean, get creative, practice self care, stay healthy and so on.  Much of it is helpful.  All of it, I believe, is folks trying to say "hey, I'm worried too.  Here's how I'm coping."  I get it.  While I have the luxury and privilege to be at home, my husband has gone to work and is willingly giving up his weekend to work for those in his office with existing health concerns hoping to minimize their risk of getting COVID-19.  


It seems several cities have now asked residents to stay at home all together.  No shopping, walking, driving, going to work, socializing, etc.  While several people have tested positive for this virus in Alaska, we've yet to get any orders to shelter in place.  Yet home is where I'm spending most of my time.  


A few days ago, Tim and I did head out to see if there was open water at one of our favorite spots.  This time last year, we were seeing American Dippers.  No luck at the first place as all wet areas but one small circle on a creek were still frozen over.  We did, however, spy some waterfowl at our second stop where plenty of people were ice skating, walking, and running.  While keeping our distance from humans, we spotted Mallards and a handsome, immature Harlequin Duck (Histrionicus histrionicus) drake.  I kinda fell in love with this little guy while watching him fight the strong current and pull himself onto a shelf of slippery ice, all the while doing his best to avoid the much larger Mallards around him.  


One of the emails I've received came from the National Audubon Society suggesting that bird watching could be a good antidote to the current health crisis.  As the news brings us more information, so much of it seemingly stark and fear-inducing, I know I'll be tempted to see what migratory birds will be arriving in the upcoming weeks.  But it's likely I'll live vicariously through the lens of someone else's camera via online apps rather than risk being around other avian enthusiasts.  Alaskans endure long winters, but I'm not sure spring fever gives me permission to freely move about, potentially putting myself and others at risk.  


Meanwhile, may you stay healthy and able to care for yourself and those you love.  May we keep in mind those that are now ill with this virus and those who have lost their lives to the disease caused by the virus.

No comments:

Post a Comment