Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Everyone likes birds. What wild creature is more accessible to our eyes and ears, as close to us and everyone in the world, as universal as a bird? - Nature historian Sir David Attenborough


We've been enjoying some marvelous weather these last few weeks.  Lots of sunshine and temperatures warmer than normal have melted much of the ice on rivers, creeks and marshes in the Anchorage area.  A few of my favorite spots have yet to give up winter's grip, but that hasn't prevented me from searching for birds and any other wildlife that might show itself during my wanderings.

On one of my many trips to Potter Marsh, I heard splashing in the creek.  At first I assumed it was ice falling into the water, but I soon saw movement and the unmistakable white head of the Bald Eagle in the picture above.  I walked further along the walkway and saw it bathing, repeatedly dipping its head and wings in the water as several people and a handful of magpies watched.  Most people have likely witnessed smaller birds do this in puddles or bird baths, but a raptor?  This was new for me, and I was captivated (as were my fellow bird watchers).  A quick internet search brought me to an informative link which explains this behavior quite well.  


Recently Tim and I watched The Big Year, a movie about three birders trying to spot the highest number of species in a single year within the United States.  It's a funny and often touching film about bird watching and its impact on their personal lives.  I'm nowhere near that level of birder - I don't even keep a checklist.  But I am definitely enchanted with our feathered friends and enjoy every sighting.  We were quite happy to spot this male Common Merganser last week as he preened and eventually settled on the muddy bank.   



Bald Eagles seem common in Alaska, especially along coastal areas.  Frequent sightings do not diminish my joy in seeing them, however.  I feel the same about robins, ravens, chickadees, magpies and the like.  Common doesn't lessen my delight. 

This eagle perched on a tree over a lagoon where dozens of ducks were swimming, dabbling, diving and resting.  The Common Goldeneye below swam quite close to the tree, and we wondered if the eagle would swoop down to take him.  Before that could happen, he took off to the other side of the lagoon, his wings whistling as he flew away.  


Again at Potter Marsh, Tim and I spotted this lovely Northern Pintail couple.  Just look at his neck - so long and colorful!     




Perhaps my favorite sighting took place this past Sunday.  Just as I was about to walk around the lagoon at Margaret Eagan Sullivan Park to get a better view of a raft of goldeneye, a woman approached and asked if she could walk with me.  (As an aside, I'm unsure whether both bodies of water are called Westchester Lagoon as they're separated by a highway and connected by Chester Creek.)  Seeing her huge camera lens I quickly agreed as I assumed she'd be quite knowledgeable about birds.  We came upon a pair of Red-necked Grebes sitting on and continuing to build a nest.  They performed their courtship display as well.  What a treat!   

She offered up a few of her favorite birding spots around town, one of which I visited later in the day.  Luckily, I have found that most folks who admire birds and specifically go out to look for birds are extremely generous with their knowledge and their spotting scopes.  I've met so many kind and enthusiastic observers during this last year in Anchorage who love to meet like-minded people appreciative of the abundant wildlife. 




No comments:

Post a Comment