Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Self-care

The idea of self-care is something I aspire to.  You know, putting myself first, eating well, allowing only positive self-talk, partaking in hobbies & activities I fully enjoy, finding time to be creative, exercising, seeking solitude and moments for reflection, journaling, practicing gratitude, living in the moment.  These are all things I try to do, need to do, want to do.  But all of these things I just listed, no matter how beneficial, rewarding or valuable, sometimes seem like another to do list. 

Does anyone else feel that way?  

This is what I kind of feel like doing this afternoon - sleeping so hard that being on the floor of a loud, rumbling C-17 couldn't keep me awake.  This actually is a photo of me, asleep en route to Christchurch, NZ after spending 13 months at the South Pole.  Boy, was I tired.
I especially feel that way when my body is telling me to take it easy.  To sleep in.  To relax.  To just be.  And even more so when I'm living in this amazingly beautiful place.  It can be really difficult to give myself permission to look inward for what it is I need that could truly fall under the umbrella of self-care when I'm simultaneously fighting off feelings of guilt for not wanting to do a whole hell of a lot.  Today is one of those days.  

This is what I would like to be daydreaming about today - hanging at the beach on the South Island of New Zealand.  This is part of the Otago Peninsula near Dunedin.

But you know what?  Instead of beating myself up for not loading up my back pack and hiking into the back country for miles and miles today, I'm going to do what will put my mind and soul at ease, not to mention my feet and back.  I'm going to write post cards & letters.  I'm going to consume more chapters of the book currently on my e-reader.  I might go take a leisurely drive or walk to sit by a river later today....or not.  I'm going to go to bed early.  I'm going to take a long, hot shower and shave my legs.  I might treat myself to dinner at a restaurant.  I'm likely going to daydream a little.  And anything else I choose to do today is going to be on my terms, for my benefit, for my peace of mind, and that is more than okay.

Doesn't this look like a yummy plate of stir fry made with loads of fresh veggies and love by Tim?  If only I had a kitchen, some groceries and the boy here with me.
 
This is who I'd like to be spending and ending my day with.  (On the beach in Florence, Oregon during a road trip back in 2008.)

No comments:

Post a Comment