Sunday, May 24, 2015

"Flowers have a mysterious and subtle influence upon the feelings, not unlike some strains of music. They relax the tenseness of the mind. They dissolve its vigor." - Henry Ward Beecher







The next to last photo depicts a lovely, sweeping view of the Hudson River and Catskill Mtns. beyond.  It was taken from the steps of a formal garden on the grounds at Bard College.

Just up the road from campus is Montgomery Place (the front porch is shown in the bottom-most photo).  The grounds of this historic home is where many of the flower and amphibian photos I've posted as of late were taken.  I've been visiting once a week for the last month to see what is newly blooming and what is due to mature next.  The irises are mostly fully open at the moment as the lilacs, bluebells and bleeding hearts fade.  Next up are peonies, and I'm very much looking forward to them.  

This coming week will be our last living in this very pretty part of New York - well, perhaps until spring semester 2016.  Tim will soon be off to Washington, D.C., and I will soon be headed west for taller mountains and larger open spaces.  A city girl, I am not.  They certainly can be fun and provide any number of delightful distractions, but I quickly get overstimulated and need to retreat.  So the boy will intern & spend lots of time at the museums while I hike, camp and have long conversations over meals with friends.  Well, I have to work as well.  No one really gets to live in Yellowstone for free after all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment