Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Landscapes

I took two geology classes in college that gave me an appreciation for the character of the land around me.  I learned how giant boulders found their homes in the middle of flat farmland to stand solitary among grass and crops.  I came to understand why earthquakes happen, how volcanoes work and through what process mountain chains are formed.  Words like erosion and eddy and oxbow and meander were added to my vocabulary.  I thoroughly enjoyed the classes and our rather eccentric teacher who loved to tell us how his cats reacted to tremors.  

Most of all, it added to my knowledge and enjoyment of landscapes.  I certainly can't remember everything I learned.  After all, college was more years ago than I may want to publicly admit.  But I do remember enough to recognize some geological features and how they were formed.  In thinking of landscapes, I thought I would post a few photos of the view outside our living room windows.  I promise you, we absolutely recognize how blessed we are to live in such a beautiful place.

A few days ago
June of last year

No comments:

Post a Comment