Tuesday, September 20, 2016

all in all



From New York to Utah we drove and drove and drove.  A short week in our new place and off to Montana I then drove.  After working with movers and spending time with some truly great friends, I ticked off even more miles to return to the desert west of Salt Lake City.  Along the way, I found myself listening to lots of older music.  Songs that I've seemingly listened to a thousand times apiece.  Ones that I know by heart even when I haven't heard them in years.  Tori Amos, Indigo Girls, Alison Krauss - solo and with Union Station, Mary Chapin Carpenter, 10,000 Maniacs, Dixie Chicks, Eva Cassidy, Lucinda Williams, Tracy Chapman, Gillian Welch, Paul Simon, Dave Matthews, Billy Joel, Pat Green.  


Moving has a way of bringing on reflection, and hearing these songs that evoke specific memories from many points in my life encouraged that.  I enjoyed it.  I found myself smiling, laughing out loud, remembering places or people I hadn't thought of in a long time.  It had a way of making me feel my life has been well-lived and varied, full of change and memorable moments.  It made me feel fulfilled.  And it reminded me how much I cache songs with people, places, and times in my grey matter.  Doesn't everyone? 


It continually impresses me how much music influences mood, emotion, and energy.  Classical when I'm driving in lots of traffic but want something soothing.  Loud rock and roll when I'm feeling buoyant.  Verbose lyrics full of meaning when I'm feeling creative or introspective.  Bluegrass when I need a pick me up.  Reggae or folk when I'm feeling a little homesick.  Movie scores pretty much any time, anywhere. 


I'm wondering if exploring familiar and new parts of Utah will involve creating a new soundtrack.  I'm betting it will be full of old songs and new songs.  Sing along type songs for driving down the highway at 80 miles per hour and quiet, soft songs for watching the stars with little or no light pollution.  


Looking forward to the journeys and adventures to come.  I've a strong feeling that living here will prove to be illuminating.




No comments:

Post a Comment