Sunday, November 1, 2015

exploring the nation's capital

I've been enjoying both Arlington, VA and Washington, D.C. this last week.  Tim and Penny live in Virginia.  The attractions of city life, art and culture are what I've sought in D.C. 

 
My kitten has been spending a lot of time on top of my suitcase, snoozing.  She has a fondness for luggage in general, but seeing as the piece I brought with me was cat hair free, I believe Miss Penny has made it her goal to change that.  Goodness, I missed her.  We're back to being buddies, thankfully.  She's apparently forgiven me my five month absence.

So far I've visited the National Museums of American History and Natural History, the National Gallery of Art and Sculpture Garden, and the National Zoo.  Good gravy, I've seen so much and that doesn't include the people watching.  So much diversity, so many languages being spoken on the street and in the metro, so many beautiful people. 

sculpted bird on facade of the National Archives building
Overall, it's been fun being here.  I still have a huge list of places I would like to spend time exploring.  Many more works of art to be seen.  Many more items of historic or cultural significance to learn about.  More gardens to utilize for resting and relaxing en route to the next important spot.  More interesting buildings to find and photograph.

These were some of my favorite paintings in the National Gallery: 

Young Girl Reading by by Jean-Honore Fragonard
Marcelle Lender dansant le boléro dans Chilpéric by Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec
Roses by Vincent van Gogh

Four Dancers by Edgar Degas

Animals at the zoo:

part of a flamboyance or stand of flamingos


Kwame, a sub-adult male lowland gorilla

a sleepy-looking Sumatran tiger
a female African lion

a Ruppel's Griffon Vulture
the lone male Grévy's zebra that lives in the zoo

I believe this is Kamala, one of six Asian elephants at the zoo
giant panda Mei Xiang

No comments:

Post a Comment