Monday, March 17, 2014

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Today is better known in my family as my sister's birthday.  Over the years, she has been the recipient of gifts and food items in any and all shades of green.  Green cake, green beer, green earrings, green clothes, green household decorations.  I did try to avoid it this year but ended up making her an ornament made from blue and green beads strung on memory wire.  As they say, old habits die hard. 
Of course today is also St. Patrick's Day.  A time to celebrate the patron saint of Ireland and perhaps all things Irish in general.  I recently learned that parades in honor of St. Patrick started in America - New York City, to be specific.  That he was actually born in Britain but spent a good many years of his life as a missionary in Ireland.  He has been credited with bringing Christianity to the Emerald Isle.  It has become custom to celebrate this day in honor of him (and shamrocks and green duds and green drinks) as it marks the day of his death.  See what one can learn from reading a book about Irish history and folk tales?  I know.  I'm a bit of a nerd. 

Tim and I took a trip to Ireland and Northern Ireland this past November.  This had been a dream of mine since I was a kid.  We spent two weeks seeing as much as possible, circling the island counter-clockwise, starting and ending in Dublin.  It would be difficult to pick a favorite city or place we stayed or spot along the journey, but there definitely are places I hope to revisit and others yet to see.  There is more gorgeous scenery to take in.  More friendly, generous and lovely people to meet.   More history and lore to learn.  More pints to be ordered.  More Irish scones and fish & chips to be eaten!  Everything about Ireland and N. Ireland delighted us - from the neolithic sites and the coastal drives to the charming villages and the cozy pubs.  Hopefully we will find our way back to explore again.  I found it to be quite a magical place.   Even if we didn't see any fairies, banshees or leprechauns.
Entrance to Newgrange

The Dark Hedges
Coastal Northern Ireland
Sign outside a pub in Kinsale
Cliffs of Moher
Columns at Giant's Causeway


Creek alongside the road


Sign above a pub in Cork

Tom Crean's Inn - Antarctic memorabilia & history in Annascaul

Celtic cross on The Dingle Peninsula

A bit wet and windblown yet quite happy in Connemara National Park

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! I wish I could find some vintage Guinness signage for a certain fan of all things Irish in my house.

    ReplyDelete